Zucchini “Apple” Base:
- 9 cups of zucchini/summer squash – peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced (approximately ?” thickness)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or any other kind of sugar)
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups oats
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
Zucchini “Apple” Base Instructions:
- Prep the zucchini: Peel it. Cut it in quarters lengthwise, scoop out the middle (spongy part with the seeds), and then slice each of the quarters about 1/8″ thick. This will give you more apple-shaped slices.
- Place zucchini and lemon juice in saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes (until starts to soften), stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, honey, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
(this base can be used by itself anywhere you might use fruit compote)
Crumble Topping Instructions:
- Place oats, gluten-free flour, dried cranberries, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in bowl. Stir with a fork until well combined.
- Add melted coconut oil and mix/mash together with hands until it begins to form a crumble.
Assembly + Baking:
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Scoop the zucchini “apple” base into an oven safe dish with a slotted spoon, leaving some of the liquid in the bowl if the zucchini were very watery (save this and use it elsewhere).
- Top with crumble topping.
- Bake at 350F/175C for about 25 minutes.